It is the ambition of every homesteader and off-grider to use the the free energy from the sun. Using solar cooking is one of the easiest ways to tap into this renewable energy resource! With this product, you can cook, bake, dehydrate, or boil. All with using free sunshine!
Solar Cooking Features With The All American Sun Oven
This particular solar cooking product has some features that make using the sun to cook your meal and easy task!
The latest model has the following great features:
- It has a sight to make aligning with the sun a simple task
- It has improved wind resistance – better constructed reflectors
- Reaches ideal food cooking temperatures of 350 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cooking time can be adjusted – from within 20 minutes of a normal stove, or use to slow cook all day
- Tough construction – this product is made to use outdoors and is durable for that function
- No need for wood, gas, or electricity
One of the main features that i like about this solar cooking marvel is it’s versatility! You can use it for solar cooking, making anything from breads, cakes, muffins and pizza to vegetables, poultry, fish, meats, casseroles, pasta, and desserts! It can be used to bake, boil or steam foods. A Dutch oven is ideal cookware for the sun oven due to its heat retention properties!
But wait! That’s not all!
You can also use the All American Sun Oven for dehydrating various foods such as fruit, herbs, vegetables or for making jerky. If you are South African, you can use it to make biltong (yummy!) which I will cover in another post.
A nice added extra with this product is your get a CD with hundreds of recipes you can use for solar cooking.
You will find that this product is well made and will bring your many happy solar cooking hours! The only down side is not with the product itself, but rather with it’s power source. You can obviously only use this product if you have sun shiny days.
The manufacturers state that you should be able to cook in the sun oven even on a cloudy day, as long as there is enough sun to cast a shadow. I have not tried it on a cloudy day, so if any of you have, let me know how it went in the comments below!
Sample Cooking Times
Some sample cooking times using the All American Sun Oven are:
- Beef Roast, 2.5 lbs (just over 1 kg) = 1 hour, 20 minutes
- Baked Chicken, 3 lbs (1.3 kg) = 1 hour, 15 minutes
- Bread = 45 minutes
- Rice = 40 minutes
- Chocolate Cake = 35 minutes
Do yourself a favour and pick up one of these babies. It will add capacity to your off-grid experience and help you to start using clean, renewable energy to cook your meals! As long as the sun shines!
Get more posts like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.