I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. View our Affiliate Disclaimer.
What’s all the hype around solar energy? Wondering why solar energy is so important? Alternative energy is getting high exposure in the media and with good reason. It is an important topic in the efforts to save our planet and reduce carbon emissions … and you can play your part!
Solar energy is not only important in reducing carbon emissions and saving our planet, but also in giving you freedom of choice as an individual.
From an individual household perspective, solar power gives you the ability to achieve the following objectives:
- Reduce your carbon footprint – to play your part in saving the planet of course!
- Reduce your monthly energy bill – this will make more funds available to you and your family on a monthly basis! in some cases, it could even make money for you if you are allowed to channel your excess power back into the national grid. They will pay you!
- Increase your level of self-sufficiency – dependence on state or national grid electricity will no longer limit your lifestyle or energy availability! In times of weather disasters, or breakdowns in the national grid supply,your household will still be able to function!
What Is Solar Energy?
The key to understanding why solar power is important is understanding what it is:
- The sun produces solar energy
- It can be harnessed and used to create electricity
- Thermal energy produced by the sun can be used to heat buildings
- Best of all, solar energy is free
- Solar power is clean energy – it does not compromise the environment.
The way the energy from the sun is harnessed and converted into electricity is by solar cells. Usually in the form of panels which house multiple cells. The panels are placed to face the sun to capture as much of the sun’s energy as possible.
The Importance of Solar Energy
The very life on our planet is dependent on solar energy. Plants and animals rely on solar energy to produce important nutrients at the cellular level. Hence, if nature is using the energy source of the sun to sustain life, it makes sense to learn from nature. Why not try to find a way to make use of solar energy as an energy source that is both abundant, free, and clean. We can then harness it to replace traditional energy sources that are poisoning us and our planet.
What makes Solar Energy Clean Energy
The production of solar energy has no harmful by-products or emissions to pollute our environment. It also does not pose a threat to the environment like, for example, an oil spillage would. It also does not emit greenhouse gas like a coal burning power station does.
The Many Applications of Solar Energy
From producing energy to power a calculator to powering vehicles, to generating enough energy to power cities, the applications of solar energy are boundless. One of the important factors of the versatility of solar energy is its potential for portability. Remote areas can now have energy available for cooking, heating, lighting and communication – all relatively cheaply. Consequently, I don’t think it is a solution you can ignore if you want to become more self sufficient or reduce your carbon footprint.
What Does It Mean To You?
As a citizen of earth, it is the responsibility of us all to do our part in preserving our home for our children and their children. That’s all well and good, but what does solar energy do for you personally?
Solar power can:
- Improve your health – by improving the environment
- Save you money – solar power is significantly cheaper than other energy sources.
- Keep you connected – when traditional power sources fail
- Make you self sufficient – not reliant on the Government / other suppliers for your energy
- Help you make a difference – its easy to play your part when you see immediate benefits
Want to Learn More?
People across the planet are becoming more and more aware of their need to be increasingly self-reliant an self-sufficient. As a result, many resources in this niche have sprung up on the internet. There are many books on the subject of solar power and how you can implement it in your suburban home or cabin in the woods.
If you are a hands-on type of person and prefer the DIY thing, like me, there are many resources online that will enable you to do this too. The one word of warning to doing it yourself is that you MUST do your research and follow all the safety protocols. You are after all dealing with electricity here. You don’t want your solar DIY project to be your last!
What are others doing?
In conclusion, with the world facing a global energy crisis, solar energy remains the most suitable viable, short term solution. There are initiative around the world to move to solar energy technology. Here is an example from New York City street vendors. Solar technology is proven, reliable and available today, so get involved, go green and go solar!
Need a resource for solar equipment, check out these solar products!
Get more posts like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.